Motherhood is a special and joyous moment in every woman’s life. But this is possible if her health is taken care of during postnatal period.
The postnatal period or Puerperium is called ‘Sutika kala” and woman is called ‘Sutika’ in Ayurveda. A woman is called ‘Sutika’ only after the placenta is expelled during labour. The duration of ‘Sutikakala’ is usually 1-1/2 month (45 days).
Great emphasis has been laid on post natal care i.e. Sutika Paricharya , as during this period she restores her health and strength. Ayurveda compares the condition of woman after childbirth with that of a pot filled with oil up to brim. If the pot becomes unstable, the oil spills. So, if proper care is not taken during postnatal period , her health deteriorates.
Importance of Post Natal Care (Sutika Paricharya)
* To bring the woman’s health status to the pre pregnant state, as due to growth of the baby and the pain & blood loss during delivery, there is weakness & loss of vital elements from the body.
* To prevent the complaints during Sutika kala such as
1. UTI 2. Backache 3. Loss of appetite 4. Thirst 5. Anxiety 6. Anger 7. Disturbed sleep 8. Depression, etc.
Post Natal Care (Sutika Paricharya)
* She should be given Ghee (clarified butter) or Til oil (Sesamum) mixed with Panchkola according to her digestive power.
* After digestion of the above mixture give her rice gruel or milk medicated with panchkola or Vidharigandhadi Gana (i.e mixture of Shatavari,Gokshur,Punarnava,Bala etc.)
* Along with this give ‘Gudodaka’ or jaggery water for 5-7 days.
* After 7th day give her strength giving and easily digestible food e.g. sixty day rice, meat soup of forest dwelling animals, etc.