World Breastfeeding Week – August 1 – 7
Breast milk is the best nutrition a mother can give to her child . Feeding the child is the most satisfying and fulfilling experience for a mother . The child should be breastfed exclusively for first six months after birth . But when amount of breast milk decreases or is inadequate , it becomes very distressing.
Ayurveda describes decreased breast milk as ‘ Stanya Kshaya’ i.e Stanya means breast milk and Kshaya means decrease.
Absence or faulty secretion of breast milk following childbirth is called ‘Agalactia’ or ‘Agalactorrhoea’ .
The decreased secretion may occur from beginning and continue through entire period of lactation or it may be normal initially and decrease gradually .
* Anger , grief , fear , absence of affection for the child .
* Fasting , intake of dry or non – oleaginous edibles and fluids.
* Excessive exercise , emaciation , inadequate sleep and rest.
* Excessive use of purifying measures.
* Pregnancy during lactation.
* Sore nipples.
* Smoking and alcohol consumption.
* Taking oral contraceptives.
* Providing other feeds in between breast feeding.
Decreased breast milk can be treated by :
* Herbs & Formulations
* Daily regimen
Herbs & Formulations
Fenugreek , Garlic , Fennel , Cumin , Turmeric , Dry Ginger, Puereria tuberosa ( Vidarikand ) , Asparagus racemosa ( Shatavari ) , Nigella sativa (Kalaunji), Withania somnifera ( Ashwagandha)
These can be taken in powdered form or as a paste with milk , singly or in combination and also as milk medicated with any of the herbs mentioned .
For complete article click: http://www.allthingshealing.com/readarticle.php?itemID=33&articleID=12809#.Uf84ftI3B31