Postnatal period ushers a whole new world for a woman .This period is a potpourri of happiness & contentment , on one hand and physical & mental fatigue due to delivery, on the other hand . To overcome these highs and lows , Ayurveda has described ‘Sutika Paricharya’ i.e. Postnatal Regimen . In this regimen , Abhyanga or Ayurveda Massage has a significant role.
Abhyanga is anointment of body with warm medicated oils . It is derived from Sanskrit root ‘ang’ meaning movement or motion and prefix ‘abhi’ meaning different , against . Thus Abhyanga means rubbing , which involves motion in different directions. Abhyanga is mainly of two types – Curative and Preventive. During Postnatal period , it has a curative effect .
Following delivery, the major changes which occur in a woman’s body are :
* Lack of tone of abdominal and perineal muscles.
* Laxity of vagina and uterus which may lead to prolapse if not taken care.
* Intestinal paresis often leading to indigestion and constipation.
* After pains i.e. spasmodic pain in lower abdomen.
* Venous congestion leading to oedema.
* Increased chances of Puerperal Venous Thrombosis.
* Hypersensitive state of Nervous system leading to pain sensation, anxiety, depression etc.
Ayurveda advocates Bala oil, Dashmool oil, Sesamum oil for Abhyanga during Postnatal period. These oils are best for strength and unction.
Abhyanga provides following benefits:
For complete article click : http://www.allthingshealing.com/Martial-Arts/Abhyanga-Ayurveda-Massage-and-Postnatal-Care/12173#.UjNFINJWYSl