A woman undergoes various physical and physiological changes during her reproductive period i.e from menarche ( onset of menstruation ) to menopause (Cessation of menstruation ) . Awareness and management of these changes are necessary for a woman to remain healthy.
Ayurveda stresses on the importance of health of woman , as she only , can procreate and thus lay the foundation of healthy society.
Gynecology is the study of female organs of reproduction and their diseases . In Ayurveda , these are studied in ‘Stri Roga Vigyan’.
Causes of Stri Roga ( Gynecological diseases ) are mainly
* Artava dosha ( Menstrual irregularities )
* Bija dosha ( Defect in Ovum / genetic mutations )
* Abnormal diet and habits
* Excessive coitus etc.
Gynecological diseases are described as ‘Yoni Vyapad’ which are 20 in number and cover most of the diseases prevalent in this era. Diseases and their management can be understood as under :
* Yoni Vyapad : Pittaja ( Pelvic Inflammatory Disease) , Shleshmiki ( Trichomoniasis) , Raktayoni ( Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding) , Arajska ( Secondary Amenorrhoea) , Upapluta (Candidiasis) , Karnini ( Cervical ectopy) , Vandhya ( Primary Amenorrhoea) , Putraghni ( Recurrent Pregnancy Loss) , Udavartini ( Dysmenorrhoea) , Phalini ( Cystocele) , Mahayoni (Prolapse) etc.
* Asrigdara / Artava Vyapad (Menstrual Irregularities)
* Stana Roga ( Diseases of Breast)
* Arbuda & Granthi ( Tumours & Cysts) eg Uterine Fibroid , Follicular Cysts etc
* Vandhyatva ( Infertility)
* Rajonivritti ( Menopause) etc.
Management of Stree Roga ( Gynecological diseases) is by Panchkarma ( five methods of purification ) especially Uttar basti ; Oral medicines and Local application of medicine in the form of oil , decoction , paste etc as vaginal tampoons , douche , fumigation etc.
The Ayurvedic treatment not only cures the pathology in reproductive organs but with holistic approach , treats the woman as a whole , thereby improving the general health also.